Winchester's Anglo-Saxon, Medieval and Later Suburbs
Hampshire Cultural Trust
This volume is part of an integrated series of studies of Winchester’s archaeology, largely concerned with investigations in the years 1972-86. The excavations described here were undertaken in the northern, western and eastern suburbs of the Anglo-Saxon and later city (within c 300m of the walls) and produced evidence for their character and development over some 1600 years after the end of the Roman era. The ambitious extent of the work, and the quantity and quality of the data generated, mean that the results are of considerable importance not only for Winchester itself but for the towns of Britain as a whole, especially as suburbs have often been neglected as a subject for research. All the principal sites in the volume have their origins in the prehistoric or Roman periods of which the archaeology is described in other volumes in the series.